If you are facing DUI or DWAI charges in Colorado, you should know how important it is to have an experienced attorney assisting with your case.
Under Colorado law, the offenses of driving under the influence (DUI) or driving while impaired (DWAI) can have serious consequences. Even if you are a first-time offender, you could risk having your driver’s license suspended, and you could also have a criminal record.
While most DUI/DWAI offenses are misdemeanors that do not necessarily result in jail time for first-time offenders, the costs of having a misdemeanor on your criminal record can have long-lasting effects.
You will likely need to disclose your criminal record on job applications as well as applications for housing and credit. In some cases, your criminal record could prevent you from obtaining certain types of employment.
The best thing to do when you are facing DUI/DWAI charges is to work with a DUI lawyer who can help you to build the strongest possible defense in your case.
However, finding a good DUI lawyer in Colorado can be a complicated process. The following are some important tips for how to find a good DUI lawyer in Colorado who can help you to fight your charges and avoid a conviction.
Research DUI Lawyers in Your Area
According to an article in the Huffington Post, one of the first steps in finding a good DUI attorney to work on your case involves some research. You can research DUI/DWAI lawyers in Colorado in numerous ways.
You might start with internet research, as well as research on social media. Has the lawyer been reviewed by clients, and are those reviews positive? Has the lawyer been featured locally in attorney ratings, or is the lawyer involved in the community in any capacity?
In addition to seeking out information on the internet and social media, friends and family members can be an extremely helpful resource. Your friends and family members may be able to suggest good lawyers in the area, and they also may be able to provide you with information about lawyers you should nothire for your case.
Make a List of DUI Lawyers to Contact
After researching possible DUI attorneys in your area, the next step is to make a list of attorneys to contact. You can use an excel spreadsheet to keep track of each of the lawyers, which can give you space to make notes about conversations or interactions with those attorneys, as well as notes about specific information about a particular attorney.
Excel spreadsheets can also help you to keep track of contact you have made with the lawyer and when the lawyer returned your call or email.
Arrange Initial Consultations with DUI Attorneys
The next step in finding a good DUI lawyer for your case is contacting attorneys and arranging initial consultations. Some DUI lawyers in Colorado will offer free consultations, while others will require you to pay an initial fee for the consultation.
It is extremely important to meet with a lawyer before you hire him or her. You want to be certain that you hire a lawyer who has experience handling DUI/DWAI cases similar to yours, but you also want to ensure that the lawyer is a good fit for you personally. You can only determine whether a particular attorney is right for your case by arranging a consultation.
Plan a List of Questions to Ask the DUI Lawyer
When you meet with a DUI lawyer during your consultation, you should prepare a list of questions to ask. Potential questions that you might want to consider could include some of the following:
- How long have you been handling DUI/DWAI defense cases in Colorado?
- How many DUI cases have you handled, and how many have you taken to trial?
- Do you have any client testimonials that I could read?
- Would you be willing to put me in touch with previous clients who were satisfied with your handling of their DUI defense case?
- How do you handle mitigating factors and having DUI charges reduced?
- What are some of your strategies for handling particularly complicated or difficult DUI cases?
- Do you specialize in DUI defense cases, or do you handle a wide range of criminal defense matters?
- What percentage of your cases include DUI defense cases?
- How frequently do you agree to take DUI cases, and what are some of the factors you consider when deciding whether to take on a case?
- What defense strategies do you employ for DUI cases, and how might some of these be applicable to my case?
- What are my chances for beating these DUI charges?
- Will I be working with you specifically, or will I need to contact an administrative person in your office?
- How will we remain in contact—phone calls, emails, texts, or other forms of communication?
- How long do you think my case will take?
- How much do you expect my case to take?
It is important to keep in mind that no criminal defense attorney can make any definite promises about your case. Accordingly, if you meet with a DUI attorney who promises that you will win your case, you should be wary about the lawyer’s practices.
At the same time, you want to be sure that you work with an attorney who is confident in present a solid defense and building a defense strategy that is tailored to the specific facts of your case.
Your attorney should be confident in developing the best possible defense strategy in your case and should be confident in your chances of beating the charges, but should not make any promises or agreements about having your charges dismissed.
You should also keep in mind that the best DUI lawyers will give honest, straightforward answers to your questions. If the attorney answers with vague responses to any of your questions, you should consider other lawyers for your case.
Contact a Colorado DUI Defense Attorney
If you are facing DUI charges, a Colorado DUI defense attorney can help. Contact Miller Leonard, PCtoday to get started on your case.